Monday 23 November 2009

SOTERION - EXCIDIUM SATANAS / 2005 / DISCOGRAPHY / BIOGRAPHY / REVIEW



















THIS ALBUM CONTAIN(10-TRACKS)
1-JAVEH'S TRIUMPH OVER HIS ENEMIES
2-JESUS SUNTRIBUH SATAN
3-APOCALIPTIC SEVEN PLAGUES
4-THE DAY OF TOTAL DESTROCTION
5-HOLY BATTLE LEGIONS
(AGAINST DEATH)
6-O TENEBROSO FIM DE LUCIFER E SEUS ANJOS
7-ABISMO
8-IMPERIAL
9-BATALHA
10-RITUAL DE SANGRE
CREDITS:
Lord Abaron - Bass/Vocals (Previous Guitar)
Lady Corbhan - Guitar (Previous Bass)
Zafenate - Drums
Malquias - Drums
Tyatira - Guitars
Sacrifice - Vocals
Apocalyptic - Bass
Cabzeel - Guitars
(Soterion@MySpace)












BIOGRAPHY:REVIEW:
I will admit I have been ignoring the Brazilian metalscene for a long time. Brazilian bands often deliver badly produced mediocre albums, with really no information at all, making it impossible to track down bands and get to know them better. Or atleast, that was my image of the Brazilian metalscene. Soterion and Against Death bring on this split each respectively Black metal and Death/Black metal. Both in the Old School kind of style: little to no variation and no melody as in soft interludes. The production is decent though, I can pretty clearly hear each instrument, there is no fuss, no noise and I don't get a headache while listening, I have heard much worse with American and European Old School Black metal (or Unblack metal as some tend to call it). The information however is also on this information impossible. 

I guessed the year and way of release, it isn't available anywhere. The names of the musicians on this album are written with a font in the booklet that's quite hard to read, I had to track that information down on the internet. The songtitles I'm pretty sure of. These fonts look good, but especially capitols are impossible to read when you don't know the words.Anyway, the music. Excidium Satanas begins with an atmospheric and dark sounding introduction, with a really deep (it's altered by effects) voice talking. This intro clock 2:10 minutes, which is pretty long, two minutes of talking. The end has some sounds of fighting, 

I think they might be taken from Braveheart. After this the Black metal comes in. Soterion bring some fast Black metal, with some decent variation in speedchanges actually. Many mid-speed tempo parts. The vocals are really shrieky and fit the music. The band does list a drummer, but my ears tell me this is a drumcomputer. I'd say this is probably one of the better Old School Black metal bands I've heard from the Christian metalscene as of lately. Not completely my style, but not really bad either.Against Death also try to do their best in creating a dark atmosphere with the intro. You hear the music of the Lord of the Rings movie, or at least I think that's what it is, with a lot of screaming on top of it. 

The music is not that far from Old School Black metal, but with here and there a hint of Death metal. The vocals are also shrieky, like with Soterion, but also some grunting mixed in. The drumming here sounds like a real drummer to me. The production again really isn't that bad. Also here decent variation in speed changes, with mid-speed and fast parts, but focussing on the faster parts.So overall this is decent, I'm not a big fan of what some call Unblack metal, but I guess this could actually be interesting for those who do love that. I'll try to get more South American stuff, this split has atleast showed me there is decent music to be found, perhaps even great(http://www.holymetalrob.com/)

No comments :